Sunday, September 11, 2011

Happy Birthday Baby!

My sweet little boy,

I can't believe we welcomed you just two days ago! What an experience for mommy and daddy! Let me tell you how it went.

It all started at mommy's 40 week appointment at the doctor. Since we were at your due date, mommy's doctor performed a procedure called membrane stripping to kind of jump start labor. At first I didn't think it would work- your dad however knew you were coming and made no plans besides getting ready to become a dad. Contractions started right away during the procedure- I think it kind of shocked you because your heart rate was a little shaky. The doctor put you and I on the monitor to make sure you were okay and sure enough you were doing fine in there! My contractions were fluctuating between 2 and 4 minutes apart and varying in intensity. After about 30 minutes of monitoring she told us to go home and get some rest because she'll be seeing us real soon :)

When dad and I got home we started preparing for your arrival just in case. Our hospital bad was already packed and in the car- just in case we had to go straight from the hospital. So we straightened up the house and made sure everything was just perfect. Eventually our excitement was too overwhelming and I decided to take a nap just in case I would be labor for a long time. I layed down about somewhere between 9:30 and 10:30 at night. I was still having contractions so it took me a while to get comfortable enough to go to sleep. Your dad was watching the season opening game of football Green Bay Packers versus New Orleans Saints. This was very important to him because the Packers is his favorite team (which is what's up with all the green and yellow stuff you are gonna come across) and they won the Super Bowl last season. He was so loud cheering them on and he can't wait to have you help him cheer them on (despite your grandfather's attempts at making you cheer for the Dallas Cowboys). I was actually able to get a little rest even though your Dad was being so loud... until about 2:15am.

Sometime during my nap, your dad joined me in the bed although I'm not sure how he was able to close his eyes because Green Bay won the game. I was awoken by the sharpest pain ever! I got up and went to the bathroom and was hit by another contraction. I went back to bed and tried to fall asleep but it wasn't working. I decided to get up and try walking. Your dad immediately got out the bed and said this is it! I wasn't so convinced just yet. I didn't want to go to the hospital to get my hopes up of seeing you and then get sent home. Your dad helped me time my contractions with my handy dandy contraction timer app and they were on average 2-3 minutes apart. I was finally convinced to go to the hospital. We grabbed your car seat, dad brushed his teeth (this is a very important detail) and we were off!... to McDonald's!

Since the doctor swept my membranes I had a very insatiable hunger. I didn't want to eat anything too heavy (even though your dad did fix me a steak and cheese sandwich at around mid night) in case we we had to deliver soon. Labor medication and food don't really mix well. At McDonald's I ordered a fruit and yogurt parfait and a fruit and walnut salad. I ate the parfait right away and saved the fruit and walnut salad in case we were in for a long haul.

When we arrived at the hospital, we knew the routine from our last visit and were pros at checking in. This time was a little different though- there was some discomfort with each contraction. We immediately got into an evaluation room and got comfy. I, of course, had to change into the hospital gown and dad tried to find something to watch on TV. Time crept on and my contractions kept getting stronger. After nearly two hours we were finally seen by the resident. The PET unit nurse said they had two delivery emergencies so it took him some time to see us. By this time I felt like life was nearly over- but it was just beginning. The resident said I was 5 cm dilated! We were making progress :) So now we get to go to labor and delivery! They called patient transport to wheel us down the hallway. When the transport lady got into our room with a wheel chair I could not believe it! "You want me to get out of this bed?!" I don't know why they couldn't just wheel the bed I was in down the hallway but whatever- I had to wait for a contraction to pass then got up and wobbled to the wheel chair. That lady zoomed me down the hallway like there was a fire behind us :/ Didn't she know that I was in pain and all that whizzing was uncalled for!?! Then when we get into the L&D room she looks at me like okay now you have to get into THIS bed. "O, Dear God... fine" ...



  2. I love to read all the details of your birth story.

    Please send in more :)!

    Happy two days baby boy!

    Congrats to daddy and mummy!


Let me know your thoughts.... Right here is good.

I respond to ALL comments- by email. Don't be a no-reply commenter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...