Thursday, September 8, 2011

40 weeks!

40 Weeks Pictures, Images and Photos



Not only am I full-term- I made it to the full 40 weeks! Now instead of counting down, we're counting up! In the back of my mind I was secretly hoping to make it to my due date- but I was often nervous about going before hand.

I of course had a doctor's appointment today and I am 3 cm dilated!!! She also stripped my membranes which caused the most intense contraction I've had thus far (and to think it's going to get worse). I wasn't really fond of the medical interventions to jump start labor but I think it's better than pitocin. I dread receiving pitocin. Once she stripped my membranes, she put me on the monitor because the baby's heart rate had dropped. After 20 minutes of monitoring  I was having contractions at regular intervals. She stated that I may even have the baby this weekend!!! I was starving when we left the doctor's office so we grabbed some food and headed home. So, I've been timing my contractions and trying to stay busy and moving. I am kind of sleepy but I don't want to slow things down by relaxing (although laziness has gotten the best of me for the past hour or so). I also feel like I should get some sort of rest just in case my active labor is really long.

I guess for now I'll continue fielding phone calls letting people know about my progress- however if hubby stays home from work tomorrow, I'm shutting off my phone. I have used more {cell phone} minutes this week than I have in months! I appreciate that everyone cares but calling to ask if I've had the baby is kind of silly considering we'll let everyone know once the baby is born. If we haven't notified you- then the baby hasn't come. Here's hopefully my last progress update!

After months of anticipation, your due date rolls around, and... you're still pregnant. It's a frustrating, but common, situation in which to find yourself. You may not be as late as you think, especially if you're relying solely on a due date calculated from the day of your last period because sometimes women ovulate later than expected. Even with reliable dating, some women have prolonged pregnancies for no apparent reason.
You still have a couple of weeks before you'll be considered "post-term." But to be sure your baby is still thriving, your practitioner will schedule you for testing to keep an eye on her if your pregnancy continues.
You may have a biophysical profile (BPP), which consists of an ultrasound to look at your baby's overall movements, breathing movements (movement of her chest muscles and diaphragm), and muscle tone (whether she opens and closes her hand or extends and then flexes her limbs), as well as the amount of amniotic fluid that surrounds her (important because it's a reflection of how well the placenta is supporting your baby).
Fetal heart rate monitoring (called a nonstress test or NST) will generally be done as well — by itself or as part of the BPP. Or, you may have what's known as a modified BPP, which consists of an NST and an ultrasound to assess the amount of amniotic fluid.
If the fetal testing isn't reassuring — the amniotic fluid level is too low, for example — you'll be induced. If there's a serious, urgent problem, you may have an immediate c-section.
Your practitioner will also check your cervix to see if it's "ripening." Its position, how soft it is, how effaced (thinned out) it is, and how dilated (open) it is can all affect when and how your labor is induced. If you don't go into labor on your own, you'll be induced, usually sometime between 41 and 42 weeks.



Pregnancy: 40 weeks!

Gender: Team Green

Name: It's safe to safe we have names- but that's not to say I won't change my mind. 

Weight Gain: At last week's appointment I gained another pound. Between that appointment and this I gained another so I think I am up to 24 now?

Sleep: Still with the very vivid dreams. However it does take me a long time to fall asleep now. I feel bad for my hubby because he's still getting up and going to work in the mornings so I feel like I'm disturbing him.

Feeling: Still doing great! At times I do have to slow down and I get periods of uncomfortableness but yes, I am still driving (I don't know what's up with this question) and still doing for myself as necessary. BTW- these contractions aren't the funnest thing in the world.

Health: Everything is well enough to continue with the pregnancy. My blood pressure is 112/70 and the baby's heart rate is good (with the exception of that procedure).


Movement: Baby is so comfy, I don't think he or she will come out willingly. I'm still feeling lots of movement, stretching, rolling, and head butts. 

Belly: The itching has subsided a little. Thank God for this EVOO.

Next Appointment: I have to go in Monday if I don't have the baby.

1 comment:

  1. *raises hand* guilty as charged! but at least we're both with verizon!!! lmao! yeah, hopefully you won't need any further intervention. i'm SO happy you've had such a safe and healthy pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts.... Right here is good.

I respond to ALL comments- by email. Don't be a no-reply commenter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
X