Saturday, September 17, 2011

A Birth Story

I just want to point out that it is extremely difficult to write my baby's birth story. I do not have a moment long enough to get it "on paper" and I really want to do this before I forget especially the little details. Here is part one of the letter to my son about his journey from the womb to the world.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Hey baby boy,

So now here we are in the labor and delivery room. It's about 6:30 am and it was time to settle in for a bit. We had already called your grandparents, aunt, and uncle to tell them you were on your way- they were so excited! They decided not to come right away because these things sometimes take a while. I was having more and more pain but your daddy was helping me through it so wonderfully- I'm not sure how I would have handled it without him. The hospital staff was also approaching a shift change so they wanted to get me settled in and comfortable. The nurse hung up some IV fluids and antibiotics so that you wouldn't get any germs. The nurse asked me how I was doing with pain and I requested an epidural. Through my pregnancy I debated if I was going to go that route but I decided this was best for us right now. So they called anesthesia and asked them to come before the shift change. Sure enough at about 6:50 they were there.

They requested that your dad leave them room because administering an epidural can be really scary but the anesthesia tech stayed with me and coached me through the process. Your dad left to go and get some snacks while I had the procedure and as soon as he left he texted me that he saw one of the doctors from the practice in the hallway. The contractions were so intense I couldn't really respond. The procedure was quick and we were done in what seemed like 5 minutes (but I'm sure it was a little longer than that). As soon as they were done the on call doctor came in to break my water. This was a weird feeling. This also made me realize that you were one step closer to coming into the world. Your protective layer of fluid was no longer surrounding you and I just wanted to hold you even more. Your dad was back in a jiff and I told him everything that had while he was gone. The pain medication started to work and I was feeling some relief.


Then another doctor from the practice came in to check on me. I was so happy to see her because I wanted her to deliver you. I'm sure you already know this but her dad delivered me while Big Momma was carrying me- so I thought it would be a little special if she delivered you. She made the trip even though it wasn't her day to be at the hospital. She checked me and said I was 8 cm and progressing at a rate of about a centimeter an hour so she would be back in 2 hours. She left and your dad and I were excited that we were getting closer but decided to get some rest. I closed my eyes to sleep and suddenly starting feeling contractions but only on the right side of my belly. I was afraid this was going to happen- the epidural wouldn't work fully and I would have to concentrate on the pain rather than your actual birth. I told the nurse about this and she tried to reposition me  to get the medicine to travel to the other side of my body. After several more contractions I knew something had to be done- so she called anesthesia for another dose of the epidural. By now my legs felt like they weighed about a ton each and I really couldn't move them on my own. I am not sure who checked me but I was now 10 centimeters dilated and that means it's time to push!

I was getting a little concerned that none of the family had reached the hospital yet but I had no time to fret because in walked Dr. P. She suited up while the nurse set up the table for everything the doctor would need. You see two hours hadn't quite passed like the doctor originally thought and so they all had to rush a little to set everything up. The nurse had told me not to push because they weren't ready so I had to lay there and hold you in just a little while longer- it was the final moments before we would be separated. Your dad grabbed my leg and the nurse grabbed they other and finally they told me to "PUSH"!!

So, I began pushing...

... "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10"

"That was good let's do it again"

"1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10"

"Great! you're almost there! One more time!"    "hand me the vacuum"      "okay go!"

"1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, 10"

I felt you pass through my birth canal and my tummy deflate. Now, sweet baby boy you are a part of the rest of the world.

Then there was dead silence....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts.... Right here is good.

I respond to ALL comments- by email. Don't be a no-reply commenter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
X