Thursday, December 6, 2012

Apple picking

I've only been apple picking once in my life. Yep, you read that right. And when I went I vowed to never do it again- it was muddy and there were bugs. Boy have things changed!

Now that I have a child of my own I wanted to start some fall traditions. Things we could look forward to and moments to look back on. My parents came to stay with us for the weekend in our new home and I thought this was the perfect opportunity to start this fall tradition.


I'm glad I changed my mind because I had a blast! My goal for the day was to entertain my parents and basically show them a  good time in our new area, start a new fall tradition, and it had to be very budget friendly. There was an apple festival in a nearby orchard that was all the rave for weeks but the was an entry price in addition to paying for games, food, and apples (and parking too depending upon how close you wanted to be to the festival entrance)- no way... maybe next year. So hubby gathered enough information from the locals and found what I think may be the best apple orchard yet (based on my experiences of course)!

Clearly impressed with what's about to go down!

I was giddy with excitement the entire time! It had rained the night before so I was a little disappointed that I was going to have the 'muddy experinece' all over again but honestly I didn't care. I don't remember apple picking being this fun the first time I went. I must say the owners of this orchard sure knows how to suck you in. There were apple fitter stands, hot apple cider, and live entertainment. I took my first tractor ride (a first for me and the baby!) got tons of apples and a lifetime of memories. I must say I can't wait to do this again next year!


Sorry for the scary face- I must start wearing make-up! We're on our very first tractor ride :)

I don't know what is up with our faces- good thing the baby is sleep and my dad bought his camera!


I promise you my husband and dad are somewhere in those tress!

Look who woke up and picked his own apple!

The weather ended up being beautiful despite it raining all night and most of the morning. I truly had fun going up and down the orchard rows picking apples and tasting a few really fresh right off the tree apples.






I did learn a few lessons being that this was our (semi) first trip and all. First, it is definitely colder in the orchards than it is on the streets. We were a little under dressed- thank god I packed his blankets. Lesson learned. Second, I didn't bring my moby wrap. We when go next year this surely won't be an option anymore but if we are blessed with more children the wrap comes. Third, pack a bigger lunch. We were there way longer than I estimated. The baby had plenty of food- the adults ate lunch at the Orchard. While the menu options were okay and the food was tasty this surely wasn't in the budget.


Although lunch at the Orchard may have not been a part of my plan it sure as heck was tasty. We picked up an extra dozen of these to keep the party going way after we left the Orchard :)


After lunch we listened to the band, perused the country store (where Hubby picked up a really nice find), and watched the children go on pony rides. The owners of the Orchard also has a vodka and a wine distillery (what a pleasant surprise!). So, what do you do when you see a vodka distillery? Why, you pull over and have some (and a photo sesh of course)! And, across the street from the distillery? Why, the wine store! And what do you know they do wine tastings... HOLLA!!!







We're def doing this again next year :)

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a wonderful time! What a great family tradition!!! Let me say this... that little man of your is ADORBS!!!!!!!!!!!!! When did he get so big!!!?!?!? Yep, I got a baby crush! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg!! I'm in love with this post!! I think I need to add a baby to the mix ;)

    I have never gone apple picking!! And one of the reasons is because of the bugs, lol. So lame! Maybe I'll be like you, have kids and get out of my own way :)

    I hope you have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute post!

    It looks like you guys had a great time! We don't have orchards down here in Louisiana (that I know of) but this looks like a really good idea if we ever travel to an area that does.

    Your family is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts.... Right here is good.

I respond to ALL comments- by email. Don't be a no-reply commenter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
X